Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Achilles Tendonitis: Rehabilitation & Recovery


Following 2.5 days of battling headwinds, a heavy feeling in my right foot announced itself at about mile 210 on Day 3 of the Tour de Kota last June. I dismissed the feeling and kept pedaling. A few miles later, my right achilles tendon felt like a constrictive belt had wrapped around it. Easy pedaling relieved the only symptoms -- tightness in the achilles tendon and a heavy feeling foot. Following a massage to loosen the tight calf muscle, the TdK continued, albeit at a much reduced pace, eventually racking up nearly 430 miles in 6 days.

Upon returning home, a visit to the local Physical Therapist resulted in immediate relief. As the words, "Go easy" of my PT Ami echoed in my head, reduced mileage kept me pain-free for the first two weeks. Ramping up the miles too fast returned the pain at mile 63 of a 73-miler at the end of week 5, a 300+ mile week.

Back to rehab; only this time re-injury evoked constant worry. Lowering the bike seat, moving the clips back as far as possible without drilling new holes in my shoes and every other day rides ranging from 10 to now 25 miles seems to be working. So far, so good. No pain. No tightness. No heavy foot feeling.

My latest regimen:

- stretch several times daily;
- alternate daily calf raises with riding; and
- ice when done.

Current goals: Improve strength. Gradually increase distance. Remain pain free. Do not re-injure.

No comments:

Post a Comment